Saturday, August 26, 2006

NCAA Football picks for week 1 (8/31/06 - 9/4/06)

Each week, I'll select a few keys games and make some predictions. Some will show my biases for Boston College and the University of Florida, but others will be in line with who I think will win. All of my picks will incorporate the spread as of the time I post.

The season officially kicks off Thursday night with my favorite team, Boston College. In the first game of the season, they travel to Central Michigan for what I consider to be a warm-up game before their tough ACC schedule begins the following week vs. Clemson. BC has returning starters at QB and RB, and should be very competitive in the ACC this year. I'm not so sure about Central Michigan.

PICK: Obviously, I'm going with BC -13 1/2.





Aside from the BC game, there are three other games of interest this weekend. You'll notice most top 25 teams playing weaklings and wimps as tune up games. Not these three:

California vs. Tennessee

It's hard to pick against Tennessee at home, but I'm going to do it. The Volunteers had a rough time last year and will be looking to rebound, but Cal is the better team here. Knoxville is a very tough place to play for opposing teams, but I think it is going to take Tennessee a few weeks to get everything going up on old Rocky Top.

PICK: Cal +2





Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech

ND is being picked by a lot of the media as winning the national championship. GT is a decent team with returning starting QB Reggie Ball. However, I think that ND comes out swinging and beats GT by at least two touchdowns. Charlie Weiss is eager to establish the tone for the season early in what could be a national championship run.

PICK: ND - 7 1/2





Florida St vs. Miami

What better way to spend labor day than to end your three day weekend with this annual matchup of powerhouses. I think that the Hurricanes are looking for a little payback after last year's loss. Also, I don't think Miami is going to lose a home opener on National TV, especially against Florida St.

PICK: Miami -3 1/2

No comments:

DIGG